Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Upside on Sustainability-Friendship For Food...anybody?

Every time we'd gather with friends the same question arose-why can't we just go back to the good ole days, the days of barter? Yeah, it would be just dandy to trade a meal for a drawing or a skill for a skill?  Well we recently befriended someone* who told us about this righteous site "The Freeconomy Community". I thought yes, finally an answer! So I clicked join community. Like every login page it asks for your name, email, place of origin, and all that jazz. Then it asks select skills you have. I felt fruitless. The only thing I could offer was cooking or sewing, baby/pet sitting or clothing swapping, maybe storytelling? I would not last five minutes in a world of barter. "Excuse me sir! For that (took you blood, sweat, tears and a whole year to produce) delicious homemade bread, I'll jaggedly re-construct your oversized  jacket* for you? heh heh..?!" What a jackass I'd be. I can't join this community. Also predominately living in an urban money based society does not help me, I'd feel embarrassed and ashamed.  My identity demands dexterity. I mean I strongly believe in a just for the love of it mentality and hope more people join and try to create a less money grueling way of life...oh okay, alright, I'll keep my profile. Who knows, someone might just want a friend to help them with odd jobs or needs a last minute crappy seamstress, or a  pretty awesome stylist, or a makeshift hairdresser or a crazy awesome babysitter or a...

lovelove
.tash.

*thanks Jason
*sorry Damien...gnyah gnyah (collar pull)

No comments: