Thursday, August 7, 2008

upside of...Sustainability: Vieux-Montréal

(Sorry guys this was supposed to be posted yesterday.)















This past weekend the boys and I went tripping to the beautiful city of Montreal. This would make it my second excursion to Montreal. My first was last year, a highlight of my life for it officially and finally allowed me to be somewhere outside of Ontario (Niagara bridge certainly does not count). I had never been to another Canadian province before and thankfully I never ever have to say that again. On that first journey I was so caught up in being free of my Ontario prison that I didn't get to do any touristy things. So this time Mike and P took me to Old Montreal, and thats when I fell in love. Beauty beyond words. I ignorantly asked Mike "This is what Paris must be like, right?!" Mike clarified that Paris is far too beautiful of a city to be compared with. (this is why I need to be a more worldly person) Anywho... the architecture in Old Montreal, blew my mind. Like in Paris (I said like) they've maintained and restored the buildings to keep the look of the city in its golden age. I could not get over the streets.



I envisioned myself cry laughing while bumpily catapolting down the cobbled streets in one of those horse-drawn buggies, trying to eat a bagette without choking. Speaking of food and wanting to gorge! The most amazingly mouthwatering goodness I have ever tasted. We went to Olive & Gourmando, a rustic cafe on St. Paul. I will never get the granola out of my mind. FIGS! Nobody ever puts figs in granola, tres bon, tres bon!!! Also, never do I want to have another coffee anywhere else for any other coffee following, would taste tainted. Le sigh if only it didn't take 6 hours to drive there, then I could have this kind of magic everyday. Better yet, I wish Toronto had this kind of magic. It's sad when I think about Toronto and how little we maintain or restore our architecture. We're so easily able to tear down history and stake up condos, whats wrong with us? I mean come on now guys, look what you've done to the Distillery District! We should have took notes from Montreal. I mean yes there are little pockets of our heritage scattered about, and some of it's okay but if you're gonna tear down or gut out a piece of the past, please of all things do not put a Tim Hortons or Mc Donalds in it's place, thats just down right insulting. I'm so glad I was able to get outside my Ontario box and see restoration done right and be hopeful that not everything will become extinct, that there are people who appreciation and have great respect for things of the past, so thanks Montreal for wiping clean my once muddy Ontario goggles and allowing a glimpse of true beauty.

.t.
--

No comments: