Monday, July 28, 2008

Nesting…Country Mouse in the City

Perception is a funny thing. I’ve had people tell me that they could never live in the city or that they have tried living in Toronto, no longer do, and would never be able to go back. They have this perception that the city is so different from their own suburban or rural lifestyle. Granted, it really depends on where in the city you are, but the simple truth is that nature and rural moments exist in the heart of a city. I’ve known people who have moved to the outskirt areas of Toronto hoping to find less chaos, more room, and a smaller community feel. I actually have an opposite view of the outskirts vs. inner city. I believe that there is a closer sense of community, a more natural flow to inner city than a sprawled suburban outskirt. I find too many amenities too far apart, too much uninspired landscape to fill space in the outer skirts to warrant a strong connection, but that’s me.

The siblings and I spent our adolescence growing up in a small rural town near a national park, and plenty of brush and wildlife. Amenities were about a 15-20 minute drive into town, and because we were not a wealthy single parent of four children dwelling, we rarely had money to spend on non-necessity items. We spent a lot of time outdoors, playing and exploring. My appreciation for nature in all elements has carried over into urban dwelling. Eventually, I plan to move away from the city into remote land, but for now I am constantly challenged and pushed to find nature around me.

Currently, I live in the mid-town area, and on my way to the subway for work in the morning (a 5 minute walk to subway), I pass morning glories, a mulberry and apple tree, a partridge that twitters upon my movement, and a ravine filled with hidden wildlife. This is all a short distance from one of the busiest streets in Toronto. The other week, a stroll on Spadina took us past a home with a wild rabbit relaxing in its front yard. Wherever I go, there seems no shortage of bird songs. And as much as raccoons are disdained, they’re merely wildlife adapting to urban sprawl. Buffet anyone?

There are some wonderful parks that settle near some of the busiest downtown areas like Danforth or Queen. The trick is to finding those wonderful places that breach city and country living and to explore the environment in whichever city you may be. Of course if you prefer not to watch the bugs and birds and wildlife, well than that’s possible too, but I say not nearly as rewarding.

No comments: