Friday, October 24, 2008

Upside of Fashion...To Fur or Not To Fur


This is the question I ask myself every time I'm bitten with the vintage fur love bug. I'm a vegan with an unethical fetish. I think it all started when I was a wee lil' grasshopper. An image stays in my mind of a photo of my mother in her late teens wearing a beautiful red fox hat and coat (it was more so the hat that did it for me). It instantly made me think glamor. Old hollywood classics must have helped to kindle that fire, as well. Monroe, Grace Kelly, Brigitte Bardot, Sophia Lauren all looked divine in fur. I talked about my idolization of old hollywood glamor and zest for costume rings in an earlier post, well my fondness to vintage fur goes hand in hand. Anywho, the red fox hat hid out in the back of her closet never to be worn. As I got older it made me sad to think this beautiful creature sacrificed so so much for our own greedy satisfaction and IT JUST SITS THERE NEXT TO A BOX OF OLD CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS?!! I say nuh-uh sister friend, this fatality needs to be saved! Not only for it's beauty but more importantly for what this hat communicates; heartache, love, memories, history, it's an obituary to this dear red fox! We (I) need to give thanks and honor this celestial being for the knowledge it conveys.  I feel maybe in some eyes I'm not a true "vegan" but it's all about customizing your beliefs and taking responsibility for what has been destroyed/created (or is it the other way around?) I feel it would be more wasteful to throw vintage fur into a dumpster/landfill. To drag it through the mud or bury it in the sand would be reckless, disrespectful and would we ever learn from our mistakes? I don't want to pretend it never happened, I want it to haunt me so I can comprehend then learn then pass it on to future generations (cause I know this hat is outliving me) so just maybe one day the present fur industries will stop and take liability for the violence they produce. And if you totally don't agree and think owning any fur including vintage is down right outrageous I found some wicked sites that offer fashionable faux fur. Please don't hate the hat cause it's beautiful.












































you can donate fur to peta...

No comments: